I was eight years old. It was Christmas day. My family had spent the day at a family friend's house giving presents. We were on the car ride home. It was about 10 at night. And something happened. At first I didn't notice anything. It happened really gradually. But then I noticed my hands felt cold and sweaty. And I had goose-bumps everywhere. It felt like there was a knot in my throat. Right about where my collarbone is. And then I got the weirdest feeling. It wasn't a voice or a memory or anything. It was just a feeling and I felt very clearly that if I went to sleep I would die. And so would my family. I had been sleeping in the back seat, my younger brother was next to me, my mom was in the passenger seat and my dad was driving.
I had been sort of dozing in the back-seat, but I sat up and looked out the windshield. I sat up like that very nervous and incredibly jumpy for the whole half hour it took to get home.
When we pulled into the driveway the feeling went away. I was so scared I decided to stay up all night. Being eight I stayed up for about 20 minutes then fell asleep. The next morning I woke up and was happy to see I must have imagined the feeling because I was still alive. I walked downstairs and found my parents talking to a strange guy.
Apparently the heater had broken realizing a poisonous gas called carbon monoxide. If my mom hadn't woken up at 2 am we would all be dead