Ever since I was very little I was attracted to the mysterious. One of the first books I ever recall (even more so than the usual children's books back in the 70's) was a book about UFOs, Loch Ness Monster and Bigfoot. I would stare and stare at those old black and white photos or renderings with a connection a little boy could never possibly quantify.
I even had paranormal encounters around that time of my life (documented on the affiliate websites) so the concept of finding myself out of body at night was never strange to me. It merely just "was", like any other part of my life. It was always just as natural to me as playing, eating, and so forth. I would "wake up" floating above my bed or in my room or even outside by the power lines at the end of our driveway. I just used to think it was neat, I loved the feeling of floating and flying but assumed everyone did the same things at night. Even that young I could easily distinguish the difference between dreaming and being out of my body in a conscious state.
One time I was talking to friends about my latest OBE adventures and they just looked at me like I was a lunatic with a free pass for the day.
That is when I learned that most people didn't consciously recall their OBEs/Astral Projections at night. So as I got older I learned to keep them pretty much to myself. They pretty much went away in my teens as being in a rock band and the sudden attraction to girls seemed to be all I cared about back then, lol. Then in my twenties after I lost my sister from a car accident, I had a spiritual awakening and my passion for metaphysics and the paranormal came back to the forefront of my life. This is when I started to recall my OBEs again consciously. I started documenting them in a journal that I have to this day.
I'll save some of the more interesting and detailed experiences for another day but here's a small sample size of things I've learned, most of which is likely not unfamiliar to those of you who frequent this website.
- Consciousness absolutely does not require the physical body to operate. The brain does not create consciousness, quite rather the other way around. Consciousness uses the brain as a receiver to control the physical body. Science seems to think consciousness stems FROM and is caused BY the brain. This couldn't be further from the truth.
- In the astral realm, thought governs reality. Think of something with enough focus and intent and it will manifest. This is why when you think of a destination out of body, you are there instantly. There's no speed limit out of body.
- Floating/flying is our natural spiritual state of being. This is why many OBE'rs will claim that the feeling feels oddly familiar and comfortable, and even pleasurable.
- I don't believe in Hell in the traditional Christian sense of the word but I absolutely believe in the concept and that there are in fact Hell-like states of consciousness that exist in the lower astral realms. Dark/evil spirits are real and feed off of fear and any and all lower energetic vibrational states like hate, anger, greed, etc.
- Every human being has a Soul and every night they leave their bodies and move into various dimensions whether they remember these adventures upon awakening or not. Most do not, or they assume they were just "dreaming".
- Anybody can learn to consciously have OBEs with enough discipline and practice. This removes the phenomenon from belief to quantifiable, veridical fact.
- Fear is the number one detriment to a successful out of body experience. Vibrations and noise are usual precursors to physical separation and this can have a very startling effect on someone new to the phenomenon. Once you learn that you cannot be physically harmed or die by having an OBE it is easier to overcome this initial fear phase.
Well there's plenty more but I don't wish to write a book in my first outing here, lol. I am really happy to have found this website and look forward to communicating with others and reading other's experiences as well!